Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Oh...That's me

I'm a youth minister just outside Knoxville, TN. The other night, I was rushing around the parking lot trying to get my kids seated in the van. We were about to take off to play putt-putt. One of my youth sponsors just got a new digital camera that is truly great quality. She was snapping pictures left and right, and we would all gather around her to give "Oooohs" and "Aaaaahs," As she showed us her snapshots in the screen.

Her son, Josh, who we call Little Buddy, got hold of the camera. He was running around taking shots. Suddenly, as I walked briskly across the parking lot to check in with another driver, I realized that Josh was behind me with the camera aimed closely at my face.


Now, allow me to be honest. I thought, "Yes, the perfect candid picture I have always wanted!Myspace better get ready for MYFACE. HAHAHAHAHA."


I looked over my shoulder and gave Josh the coolest rockstar stare I could muster up. Not enough to be snobby, but just enough to tell the world...I know, I know. This is what He took:




I'm a mix between Sonic the Hedgehog and The Other Sister.

This happens to me every once in a while. I'll get ready in the morning and look at myself in the mirror the way I want to see myself. I'll kinda look at the mirror with squinty eyes and think...yeeeessss...

Then, I'll be talking to my roommate later in the day without consciously thinking how I look. My eyes will glance across the room, and I'll see myself in the mirror either laughing or listening or something...and I'll be caught off guard. Oh...so that's what I really look like.

I kinda like those moments actually. Its those moments that take the pressure off. Its God's way of sucking a little more pride out of my soul. Its also His way of saying, "Well, at least you're kinda funny. "

I do hope that no one takes this as a pitty party. I'm really ok with how I look and I feel secure in this. Thank You, God, for humbling me. I don't need man's approval!

If anyone wants to pay me huge compliments, here's your cue.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

nah.

chad. said...

Have you actually heard yourself?

Shrill...REAL shrill.

Going Weston said...

look on the bright side...at least your not me...


*sigh*