Monday, May 28, 2007

The Proud or the Pious?

For the past several months there has been a tugging at my heart. I've been considering for some time the act of sacrifice and of giving. The first thing that came to mind was to give up clothing, and that is primarily what I've been caught up on. It started with a small idea, but it has gotten lodged deep down in my brain. Should I give up my clothes until I have only the bare necessities? I was thinking about this for quite a while when I finally bought Shane Claiborne's book "Irresistible Revolution." Now, I know some of you may not be too big on the guy, and I kind of understand. However, the mere message of the book has been striking some resounding chords down within me as I turn every page. Shane has lived a true life of abandonment and
"radical" living. (Sleeping in leper colonies, living among poverty and constantly giving to those immediately around him, acting socially against injustice, and making his own clothes). He claims to find Christ in those around him who he helps (Not to mention Jesus promised us that would happen way before Shane). I keep wondering if God is calling me to a life of abandonment, and it just so happens that my starting point has been my clothes. These, however, are some of the thoughts that have kept me from carrying this out.
First and foremost, giving up clothes is a fairly humbling action--to be seen in the same outfit over and over, to have to figure out washing schedules, the potential smell issue--But I know just how screwed up and prideful I really am, and I know that I could take something so pious, as giving my clothes away to the needy and defying materialism, and turn it into a source of pride. People would notice. People may think its weird. People would think its ultra-spiritual (many people will anyway.) So, do I do something that could potentially put all eyes on me, and stroke that huge ego I already have?
Secondly, I wondered what side of the line I am on between earning my salvation or actions of mere love. Am I motivated to do this out of a desire to know Christ in the people I help, or am I earning His favor with drastic actions? The latter would anger God more than touch Him.
Thirdly, am I deciding to give up clothes so that it is more of a fashionable sacrifice as opposed to true sacrifice? Rugged, ragged, and dirty is kind of..."in." Am I, in all actuality, just looking to make a fashion statement rather than a statement of love (As odd as that statement may be)?
And I have a lot of other questions about my motives such as:
Am I looking to give up clothing, so I'm off the hook with giving up sin?
Am I looking to help people only in a way that is exciting? (What about the kid that just wants me to spend half an hour with him?)
Am I really a whitewashed tomb?

Listen, by sending this into cyberspace for whomever to read, I'm not trying to let one hand know what the other is doing. I am merely telling my right hand, "Dude, this left hand guy, is really screwed up."

So what comes first: the correct motive and then the action, or visa versa?




Oh...and don't give me any crap about all my clothes being too small for anyone to wear anyway!!

7 comments:

Going Weston said...

I thought I had you...but that last comment cleared you. So I'll go with this one...



"hey dude, if you do actually give all your clothes away, can I get my socks back first...?"

Betsy said...

i'm just going to let other people comment on this because i've had enough of it. enough i say! i'm gonna leave it on the table, table.

bill said...

hey. here is a link to my thoughts on irresistible revolution...

http://billwolfworship.blogspot.com/2006/12/irresistible-revolution.html

read it. it expresses my feelings on the book better than i did the other day. i'm curious to hear your thoughts.

also...you suck at phase 10.

Going Weston said...

I was going to put the link to my blog about Irresistible Revolution...but I just re-read it and it's not as good as Bill's...so you can't have it.

Going Weston said...

It's the same old story...boy gets blog...boy writes on blog twice...boy leaves blog...

Just let me know when you make up a new one...ok?

Bethany Zumba said...

blogs get boring if you don't update. :)

Betsy said...

i'm a loser and i didn't call you back about the wedding. calling right now...